Monday, March 19, 2012

Creative inspiration


I've read a lot of books and blog posts about how to be creative and what inspires people and keeps them going but in the end I need to figure out what works for me. Lately when I've gone into the studio to work on some of my mixed media projects I just couldn't seem to get back at them. I have a few projects started so I feel that when the mood strikes me I should just be able to show up and the creative juices will start working but it hasn't been working out that way. I show up stare at a few projects for a while and then walk away because nothing seems to move me creatively. Well this past weekend my sister was by to fix up an old window she needed for a stain glass workshop she's taking tomorrow so I found myself in the studio for longer than I have in a long time. Since I had to be in the studio anyway I just started to putter away at things. I threw a little paint here and there in some art journals. Slapped some texture paste on some chip board and just tried out new colour combos and antiquing on the texture past without thinking about being creative. It made me realize that to be creative I really just need to show up regularly and to give it time without forcing it. If something doesn't work I just need to grab the next handy thing to throw paint at. Sometimes I forget that being creative doesn't always mean getting a project done.


This piece was one of those things that just came out of no where. I was using the cradle board canvas to try out some texture paste and glazing colours for a students project. It stayed on my desk so I added things here and there and within a few days it was done. I wish all projects were this easy.

What do you do to get your creativity moving?


Wendy

6 comments:

Sheila said...

I never seem to have a problem with creativity, it's making the time for it that I have a problem with. I always seem to find things to do though, I'm creative everyday.

Winnie said...

Love your piece! I love that there is so much to look at and you see something new each time. I think finding the time to create is the hardest part for me...Enjoy the class!!

Sandi said...

beautiful project, what works best for me it to just walk away and do something else, I love to cook and putter in my garden, all of a sudden my question is answered or my frustration is lifted. Hugs

Creatique Candy said...

Wendy...your posts described how I couldn't put into words the way I feel when I walked into my studio at least at Day 1 of this journey.
Looking at this is a total reminder of just taking it as it comes. I was given the best advice I ever had from a dear friend just a couple months ago...she said "When Inspiration Strikes, no matter what... seize that moment & just do it". I would agree as most of our most treasured pieces comes from doing just that. No plan, no project, but just pure inspiration or adding here & there. I think the best thing we've learned on this journey that pertains to this post is that It's totally okay to take a step back then come back again & again...the results are much more inspiring then a plan & your gorgeous art-piece proves that.
LOVED having you on this journey with me.
HUGS
Nichole L.

Days End Studio said...

You have been copied!
I used this piece as my inspiration for this months Design Team page at Scrap Our Stash.
I'm better at asking forgiveness than permission... lol. So... May I?
It's here:
http://scrapourstash.blogspot.ca/2012/05/may-may-i-challenge-by-sarah.html
I hope you like it and THANK-YOU for the inspiration!
Sarah 'the sneaky'

Debbie P said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! Fantastic job!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...